Download over 200 free cinematic LUTs to improve the look of your video and footage in 2023. Use these free LUTs in the major NLEs and mobile editors like VN video editor.
Let’s talk about the basics before jumping to free LUTs. A LUT or “Look Up Table” is a preset color profile for color grading footage or film in video editing software. You can use LUTs in Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Davinci Resolve, or Final Cut Pro.
In more technical terms, LUTs hold a set of numbers that your respective video editing software looks up to change the color of an image. The input value, which your camera recorded, is transformed into a desired color value for your output. For example, this free LUT will allow to convert Log footage into Rec. 709.
After downloading the free LUTs of your choice, scroll down and learn how to use the LUTs in Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro, or mobile video editors like VN video editor or free CapCut video editor. Using LUTs has never been easier.
Without further ado, here free LUTs ready for download. Take a look at the list of these 14 sites offering free LUTs. We also provide a short description for each link. If there is a tutorial attached, we provide it too. All the links are valid in 2023.
10+ Free Cinematic LUTs from IWLTBAP
This is a free sample from IWLTBAP’s paid pack. The author provides detailed instructions about how to import LUTs in your software. The tutorials are Vimeo-hosted videos. Download the free LUT pack from this direct link.
35 Free LUTs from Rocketstock
These are 35 .CUBE files good for use in Premiere Pro, FCPX, Davinci, After Effects. See their trailer. Download the free LUT pack on the Rocketstock site.
5 Free Cinematic LUTs from Rocketstock
These are 5 more .CUBE files good for use in Davinci, but also Premiere Pro, VN editor and other editors on this site. Check out this Davinci tutorial that also includes these 5 free LUT files.
17 free LUTs for LOG footage
PremiumBeat offers 17 free LUTs for use in personal and commercial projets. The free LUTs are .CUBE files for use in Premiere Pro, FCP, DaVinci.
Free KODACHROME – K-Tone LUT
This free LUT is useful to give that vintage look to your scenes. It’s a .CUBE file from Frank Glencairn, an established cinematographer.
Free 3D Cinematic LUT from SmallHD
SmallHD gives away this LUT pack. They will ask you a couple of questions before allowing to download it. It’s worth it!
13 Free LUTs from Ground Control Color
The LUTs are priced at $0. You will need to go through the checkout process to get these free LUTs.
20+ Free LUTs from PresetPro
Check out this collection of free LUTs. Each LUT comes as .CUBE and .3dk
70+ Free Hollywood-style LUTs
This free pack includes over 70 Hollywood-style LUTs that you can download for free from this Drive folder. The folder also includes a short tutorial about how to use these assets.
13 free customizable LUTs from Shutterstock
Download 13 high-quality and completely free LUTs from Shutterstock. Get also a coupon into the bargain.
Free LUTs in Shutterstock’s Video Editing Toolkit
The free video editing toolkit has a Color Grading folder that hosts over 50 free LUTs. The free LUTs are all .cube files, which you can use in your preferred NLE.
Free LUTs from Filtergrade
Download 8 free cinematic LUTs from Filtergrade.com. These LUTs are compatible with the traditional and mobile video editors.
Free Cinematic Wedding LUTs
Russell Kent Nicholls, a productive wedding cinematographer, offers free LUTs from his paid LUT pack. You will need to sign up, add the LUTs to the cart and check out without paying.
10 Free Cinematic LUTs from PushFocus
PushFocus is currently offering 10 free video LUTs that can be applied directly to rec 709 footage.
To download the cinematic LUTs, just add the product in your cart and go through the checkout process. This pack is free, so there will be no charge. The download includes 10 .CUBE files ready to be used in any NLE.
More about LUTs
You’re still here? Let’s dig into LUTs a little more. LUTs are simple to understand and powerful to use.
Spend several minutes to watch this video about LUTs. This video explains how LUTs can give your videos that beautiful cinematic look.
Frequently Asked Questions about LUTs
Are LUTs presets?
No, LUTs are not presets. But a preset in your video editing software can contain a LUT.
Can LUTs be edited?
Yes, you can edit LUTs and use them as layers. This allows you to adjust opacity and, thus, customize your look further.
How would you use LUTs?
Filmmakers and videographers use LUTs to create and save color grades. These grades can be used in multiple projects. With the help of LUTs flat footage can be so much better with new contrast and style.
Are LUTs compatible with all software?
LUTs come as .CUBE, .3DL. .LOOK files. They may be also .VLT, .XMP. Before downloading free LUTs or paid LUTs, you might want to make sure your software can use such files. A quick search on your preferred search engine can get you this info.
How to import LUTs in Premiere Pro?
- Import your footage and click on the clip you want to work with.
- In the Lumetri Color panel, open the Basic Correction tab.
- Under Basic Correction, select the Input LUT dropdown menu, and click on Browse.
- Go to the folder with the LUTs you downloaded and select the LUT of your choice.
How to import LUTs in Final Cut Pro?
- Once you have imported your footage, open the Effects Browser.
- Add Custom LUT Effect to your footage.
- Choose the LUT of your choice.
- Adjust the intensity of your LUT.
How to import LUTs in Davinci?
- Open DaVinci Resolve Project Settings.
- Click Open LUT Folder in the Color Management Section.
- Drag and Drop LUTs of your choice.
- Click Update Lists.
- Add LUTs to Footage from the 3D Input Lookup Table.
- Pick a LUT and Click Save.
How to use free LUTs in VN video editor?
- Download VN video editor to your mobile device: Android or iOS
- Download of the free LUT packs to your mobile device and unpack in a folder of your choice. Remember the path to the LUT files.
- In VN video editor go to the timeline and go to Filter.
- Next to the current filters, click + to add an external filter.
- Go to the folder with the downloaded free LUTs and pick the LUT of your choice. For a more visual walkthrough, follow the video tutorial below.
How to use free LUTs in Capcut?
CapCut, a free video editor that you can use to create social videos on the go, is a great tool to use the free LUTs in. See how you can add LUTs to the video editor by following these easy steps.
- Download the free CapCut video editor to your device. We recommend using CapCut on your PC if you want to download free LUTs.
- Start a project in CapCut and import your footage into Media.
- Download the free LUTs from our list into a folder of your choice. Unpack them if needed.
- In CapCut go to the Adjustment section.
- Go to the LUT subsection and import the free LUTs from the folder where you have downloaded the LUTs.
- Apply the LUT of your choice as an adjustment into your timeline in CapCut.
If you need more free elements for your video edits in 2023, check out these curated collections: